Saturday, March 5, 2011

70% of Entry-Level Applicants Rejected For Lack of Social Media Skills


Kevin Bartlett (Marist '09/PR, RTF), events coordinator at American Business Media, noted recently the importance of having social media knowledge, skill, and experience when applying for entry-level jobs in business and communication. According to Kevin, "Up to 70% percent of applications get thrown out right away because of lack of skills in areas including Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging, Facebook, and various other social networking tools."

Kevin also cited the value of gaining experience with social media in our classrooms at Marist College. Kevin recounted, "I learned a lot about the public relations industry [and social media] while I was in [my communication capstone class], and I have been able to carry it over into my current job as event coordinator at American Business Media."

I'm reprinting Kevin's note in its entirety, with his permission. If you would like to read the note, click "Read more" below.

Current students, pay careful attention to Kevin's observation. He was an outstanding student who got the most out of his Marist education and has gone on to experience success in his career.
Kevin Bartlett
I learned a lot about the public relations industry while I was in your class, and I have been able to carry it over into my current job as event coordinator at American Business Media. Our company is a trade association for B-2-B publishing and media industry. Through my job I have sat in on many webinars and speeches about different aspects of the industry. Today I was in a meeting and the importance of social media skills was presented. The presenter said that when looking to hire entry level associates this skill is a must right now. He says that up to 70% percent of applications get thrown out right away because of lack of skills in areas including Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging, Facebook, and various other social networking tools. When hearing this I was brought back to your class and learning the skills to use these tools. I thought about how we learned how to utilize them to the best of their ability.
It is clear that social media is here for good, and that these tools are necessary for current students to learn. I wanted to send you an e-mail letting you know this information that I have learned firsthand from people who are hiring new talent, and that everything we learned in your class has helped me in my job today. Hope everything is going well at Marist, and that your capping classes have been working on some great campaigns. If you would like to hear any other insights I may have learned feel free to send me an e-mail and I would be happy to let you know any other information that I have to share.
If you are interested in learning more from Kevin, contact him at American Business Media, 212-784-6353 or K.Bartlett@abmmail.com. Thanks, Kevin!

No comments:

Post a Comment