Friday, August 26, 2011

Online Education -- Not So Fast (or Cheap, or Easy)

Mike Terry photo, for The New York Times
The New York Times' front-page story, "Online Enterprises Gain Foothold as Path to College Degree" (by Tamar Lewin, Aug. 25, p. 1) caught my eye ... and raised some concerns.

First, Lewin pointed out that a number of enterprises are making a lot of money by creating online degree programs that are "cheaper, faster and flexible enough to take work experience into account" (para. 1).  Second, Lewin claimed, "For those who have the time and money, the four-year residential campus still offers what is widely considered the best educational experience" (para. 5).

I have nothing against efforts to make the cost of higher education more affordable and accessible. However, I take exception to the impression left by the article that online education programs are inherently cheaper, faster, easier and better than traditional face-to-face degree programs.

I teach several graduate courses in Marist College's School of Communication and the Arts' master's program in communication. I know from student feedback that our courses, while they may be affordable and flexible, are not fast or easy. The following comment, posted by a graduate student in one of my online discussion forums, belies the notion that online courses are by nature faster and easier:

"Being on a virtual team at Marist has made communication more difficult because of the delayed response that often occurs when communicating via email. Being a distance learner means that I cannot simply walk into my professor's office and ask a question. Instead, I need to email my professors when I have a question and then wait until they check their email accounts if I want to have a question answered. I've also noticed that operating in a virtual classroom has required more time in the process of getting to know my professors and classmates than face-to-face relationships tend to require. Perhaps that is the most significant challenge I've noticed in virtual communication versus face-to-face communication – time. Everything seems to take more time. Coordinating meetings online can take almost as long as attending a meeting face-to-face. Plus, virtual communication often requires learning new technologies, which takes time as well.

"The benefit of virtual communication I've noticed most is the education it enables me to acquire in spite of a very busy schedule. Without the ability to meet virtually, I would never have time to commute to and attend face-to-face classes. Another aspect of virtual communication that I greatly appreciate is the ability to compose my thoughts before posting them online. In face-to-face interactions, communication is impromptu and harder to prepare for. With virtual communication like discussion forums, I am afforded all the time I need to consider the discussion occurring around me and compose my thoughts about a given topic before chiming in."

Another student in the course offered this comment, supported by quotations from course readings:

"In this virtual environment ... class is always taking place, so there really is no 'cap' on participation. So we spend much more time 'in the classroom' than if we were attending a weekly, physical class. As Barrett (2010) wrote, 'With a virtual team, a high level of commitment is even more critical than with a traditional team' (p. 333). It also requires more effective internal communication from professors, including 'supportive management, effective media/forums, and ongoing assessment' (p. 349)."

Yet another student affirmed the value of flexibility in online education described by Lewin but dispelled the notion that flexibility equates to easier coursework:

"I chose the Marist program over in-person programs here where I live because of my harried schedule between work and my lacrosse club. I needed the flexibility of working within my limited free time.

"But I have [found] that the Marist program is more challenging and I do more work for this than I would have if I were actually attending classes here. When I share info with friends about what we do as part of our program, they are amazed."

"So, online learning has definitely come a long way."

I could go on and on, offering other comments from graduate and undergraduate students that echo the previous examples. However, my point is that quality of teaching and learning in degree programs is not determined by the platform (e.g., online or on the ground). Rather, the quality of outcomes in online education, just like on-the-ground education, is associated directly with the quality and commitment of the educational institution, teachers, and students.

I'm proud to teach at Marist ... and grateful for every opportunity to share a classroom with our superb students, whether that means undergraduate or graduate, on the ground or online. And, if you are considering a Marist education, come and join us. I can't say that your experience will be cheap, fast, or easy. However, I can offer assurances that your education, whether it takes place online or in a brick-and-mortar classroom, will be of the highest quality.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Kieran Begley and I am a recent graduate of the master's program in Communications at Marist College. I would also like to add another benefit an online program offers students that a traditional "in-class" program could never offer - and that is the "exponential evolution of conversation". I make this term up to describe what happens throughout a typical week of class on the online forums.

    Each week, students are asked to offer a comment (usually at least 400 words long) about an article, or statement, or question that is related to the course readings/material for that week. The first post is usually due by Monday (the beginning of the week). From that point on, students converse through this forum for the entire week (often professors will guide the conversations, but only if necessary, and usually more so during the first few weeks of each course to get the train moving).

    The reason why I term it an "exponential evolution of conversation" is best understood by comparing these forums to a traditional masters program which will meet once or maybe twice a week. The students who come to their weekly class bring with them a limited amount of knowledge about the subject matter that is to be discussed in class. While they may have some notes and a textbook, they are limited in their conversations by this 3-hour block of class time to discuss the material. Conversely, in an online forum, a student can read a post by another student and then do a certain amount of contemplating and research to form a much more in depth response to the original post. In reaction to this response, the author of the post can now conduct their proper amount of contemplation/research and respond with a more well-rounded response than they ever could have if left to the devices of a traditional program. This style of conversation happens throughout the week, leading to conversations that have "evolved exponentially".

    ReplyDelete